What should I do after an auto accident?
Usually, when an accident has occurred you experience initial shock and confusion. If the accident is severe you likely are not immediately able to fully understand what has happened. This is normal. And even if you weren’t able to compile all of the information from the other driver or witnesses, you can still file a claim. Here are some things you should do immediately if you are in a car crash:
- If there was no police officer at the scene, you must report it immediately to a law enforcement authority (such as Highway Patrol or the Police)
- Seek medical attention for any wounds or injuries sustained from the crash
- Keep ALL documents obtained by police, health providers, and insurance companies
- Do NOT give a statement to the other party’s insurance company
- Hire an experienced car accident attorney and do not give statements to police or your insurance company without consulting with your Attorney first
- Turn over any pictures taken from the accident as well as all documents regarding the accident to your attorney
If you were not already able to take some or all of these steps, that’s okay. We can help you compile all the evidence and help you get the information you need to file a suit. Call us now!
Rideshare Car Accidents: What you should know getting into an Uber or Lyft vehicle.
With Uber and Lyft taking over the rideshare industry, it is important for you, as their customer, to know how rideshare accidents differ from conventional car accidents. To start, where a regular auto accident usually involves two drivers and their respective insurance companies, these are the common parties involved with rideshare accidents,
- The two drivers (if the accident involves only two cars)
- The rideshare company (i.e. Uber, Lyft, etc.)
- The passenger(s) of the rideshare vehicle
Insurance companies have special policies for individuals using private cars for commercial purposes. However, because rideshare companies declare their drivers as individual contractors, the personal insurance of the rideshare driver can drop coverage due to the commercial use of the vehicle. Because of the complex and often confusing nature of rideshare insurance, it is best to consult with an experienced rideshare accident attorney to know who to file a claim against and how to get compensated for your injuries.
While some injuries sustained in a car accident are minor, other times injuries are severe, catastrophic, and can even end in death. It is very important you and the other passengers seek medical attention for any injury sustained as serious injuries may not be immediately apparent.
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident, don’t wait to begin seeking compensation for your losses. Contact a skilled personal injury attorney who specializes in auto accident injuries and claims. Call on our firm to help you get the compensation you deserve.